Also known as bliss balls, energy bites, protein balls, protein bites, snack balls… you name it.
Fat balls are a satisfying, nutrient dense-snack that is usually high in fats and protein, and low in sugar. This SunButter® take on the trendy snack could be the easiest fat ball recipe you’ll find on the internet: it requires no baking, no food processor, and no blender.
Made from US grown sunflower seeds rich in micronutrients like magnesium, zinc and iron, SunButter is made free of top eight food allergens (including peanuts, tree nuts and soy).
These sunflower butter fat balls quickly became my new favorite mid-morning or mid-afternoon snack, or a breakfast on-the-go for busy days.
The healthy fat in this recipe helps you stay full longer, the hemp seeds make it extremely rich in two essential fatty acids (omega-6s omega-3s), and the addition of cinnamon can add blood-sugar regulating, appetite-controlling benefits. The unexpected chocolate chips give it a dessert-worthy cookie dough edge.
Did I mention they’re absolutely delicious?
Let’s get straight to the recipe!
Nut-Free Sunflower Butter Fat Balls Recipe
- 1/2 cup SunButter (available at major grocery chains and specialty food stores throughout the U.S. including Whole Foods and Target, and online at SunButter.com)
- 1/2 cup cacao butter
- 1/4 cup coconut butter
- 1/3 cup hemp seeds + 1/4 cup more for rolling
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 tspn. cinnamon
- 1/2 tspn. Himalayan sea salt
*Add maple syrup to taste if you want to make sweeter fat balls
*Add a few tablespoons of cassava flour if you are planning to keep the fat balls out of the fridge for more than an hour and want to avoid sticky fingers.
1. Melt cacao butter and coconut butter in a saucepan on low heat until the mixture turns into liquid.
2. Load all ingredients into a large bowl.
3. Mix all ingredients well.
4. Move the fat ball dough into a large bowl and chill in the refrigerator for 20 to 30 minutes, until it thickens.
5. Take out the dough and form 1-inch balls, rolling them in hemp seeds. Enjoy!
6. Keep the fat balls in an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 7 days.
This post is in collaboration and sponsored by SunButter, a brand we’ve been fans of for years. All opinions are our own.