Your new favorite Burger Recipe! There’s nothing like a juicy cheeseburger with fresh crisp toppings on a toasted bun, paired with sweet corn on the cob or potato wedges. We partnered with Beef. It’s What’s for Dinner on behalf of the Beef Checkoff to show you how to make the ultimate juicy burger.
We are sharing our best secrets, tips, and tricks for making the perfect restaurant-quality burger, from the juiciest patty you’ll sink your teeth into, to the best burger buns and burger sauces. Try these and you will be known for your burgers!
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
The Perfect Burger Recipe:
Beef is delicious on its own – it is a high-quality protein that is tender, juicy and full of natural flavor. You don’t need a bunch of mix-ins, or you’re just masking the flavor of the beef. Remember it’s not a meatloaf, but a burger. If you want to change up the flavor, do that with the amazing burger sauces below (you’ll want to try these!) and toppings.
What is “Chuck Knows Beef?”
Chuck Knows Beef is a great resource from Beef. It’s What’s for Dinner on all things beef. It is powered by Google Artificial Intelligence and can provide answers to your beef questions instantly and provide dinner inspiration if you aren’t sure what to cook with that ground beef in your refrigerator.
You can access it online at ChuckKnowsBeef.com, on Google Home (say: “Hey Google Activate Chuck”) or Amazon Echo (say: “Alexa. Activate Chuck Knows Beef”).
Tips for the Best Burger Patties:
- Prepare buns and toppings first and cook burger patties last.
- Use refrigerated Ground Chuck Beef (80/20) – grind your own or buy it ground, but 20% fat is ideal.
- Do not overwork your meat.
- Shape the patties 1” wider than the bun since they shrink on the grill.
- Make an indentation in the center to prevent it from plumping up in the center.
- Season patties generously with salt and pepper just prior to cooking. Salt changes the structure of proteins and toughens burgers. Do not salt the ground beef before forming into patties.
- Once on the grill, let patties brown and sear well (3-5 min) before flipping and do not press down on the burger.
Can I Cook Burgers on the Stovetop?
Yes! Most restaurants cook on a cast iron skillet. Heat the skillet over medium/high heat and add a high heat oil (not butter), adding just enough to lightly coat the bottom. Once the oil is hot but not smoking, add burger patty and sauté without moving it for 3 to 5 minutes per side the same way you would on a grill, cooking to a safe internal temperature of 160˚F.
Classic Burger Recipe Toppings:
When building a perfect burger, pick toppings that will add appealing texture, color and flavor.
- Sliced cheese (our favorite is thick-sliced, medium cheddar)
- Dill pickle slices
- Fresh red onions (or caramelized onions)
- Green leaf or iceberg lettuce,
- Bacon + pineapple + the BBQ sauce below
- Jalapeños to add some heat
The Best Burger Buns:
- Potato Buns (Our top choice: the softest with great flavor)
- Pub-Style buns (soft, tall, restaurant style)
- Classic Sesame Seed Buns (inexpensive and classic)
- Brioche Bun (has a sweeter flavor)
- Pretzel Buns (denser but least likely to get mushy)
How To Assemble Burgers:
There are differing opinions on how to build a better burger, but here is how the pros assemble their burgers (restaurant style):
- Apply a generous amount of sauce to both buns.
- Place pickles, lettuce, tomatoes and red onion onto the bottom bun
- Place cheesy burger patty over the veggies and cover with top bun
The Best Burger Sauces:
We love a good aioli (flavored mayo) for burgers. These are super easy to whip up and have impressive flavor. The adult favorite around here is the BBQ aioli and the kids favorite is “Fry Sauce.” Experiment and make them all for a seriously impressive (but easy) burger sauce spread!
What is a Safe Beef Internal Temperature for Burgers?
Whether you are working with fresh ground beef or fully thawed, the recommendation is that ground beef should feel firm to the touch and be cooked to a safe 160˚F (medium doneness). Keep in mind that color is not a reliable indicator of ground beef doneness so do not cut into it to check or the juices will drain out just like with a steak.
Sides for your Summer Cookout:
Watch How to Make Burgers:
I hope this Burger Recipe becomes a new favorite for you. Over the years, we have tried all kinds of burger recipes – stuffed burgers, various beef mix-ins, and seasonings, but we keep coming back to this classic beef burger. It’s so simple but with burgers, the simplest recipe really is the best.
Perfect Burger Recipe
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
The Best Burger Recipe! Sharing our secrets for making restaurant quality burgers, from the juiciest burger patties to the best buns and burger sauces.
Cost to Make:
Calories: 533 kcal
Servings: 4 burgers
ground chuck beef
Classic Cheeseburger Toppings:
medium cheddar cheese
sliced into 8 rings
green leaf lettuce
thinly sliced into rings
dill pickle slices
Slice, and prepare all of your burger toppings and sauces.
Spread the cut-side of the bun with softened or melted butter and toast the cut side on a skillet or on the grill until golden brown. You can toast the bun ahead or in the last couple of minutes with the burgers on the grill. Toasting the bun adds great flavor and prevents a soggy bun.
Preheat grill to medium heat. Divid beef into 4 portions and form patties that are about 1/2″ thick and 1″ wider than the burger buns. Season patties generously with salt and pepper.
Grill burger patties (indent-side-up) covered for 3-5 min each side on the grill. Flip burgers when juices are accumulating on top of burger and you have a good sear. Apply cheese in the last 1-2 minutes of grilling then cover with lid and cook until internal temperature of beef reaches 160˚F.
How to Make Burger Sauces:
- BBQ Aioli: 1/3 cup mayo + 1 tsp BBQ Sauce (we love sweet BBQ)
- Mustard Aioli: 1/3 cup mayo + 1 tsp yellow mustard
- Dijon Aioli: 1/3 cup mayo + 1 tsp dijon mustard
- Fry Sauce: 1/3 cup mayo + 1 Tbsp ketchup
Perfect Burger Recipe
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 297
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 15g94%
Vitamin A 570IU11%
Vitamin C 5.8mg7%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
If you make this recipe, I’d love to see pics of your creations on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter! Hashtag them #natashaskitchen